Friday, June 8, 2007

Ironman Cafe Website Review: Athlinks

Just a quickie tonight. All is going well, I have a big weekend of training this week, with the Saturday Morning Brick tomorrow and 4hrs firm on the bike on Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing how I handle it.

I thought I would point out a cool website that I heard about on a podcast I listen to regularly. The sight is called Athlinks, they describe themselves as a “social network for athletes”, with “the most comprehensive database of endurance race results and events anywhere in the world”. Their coverage focuses mainly on the U.S. and parts of Canada and Mexico for six different race categories: Running (over 3 K), Swimming (open water and/or over 500 M), Cycling, Mountain Biking, Triathlon/Multi Sport, and Adventure Racing. They also have a lots of race results for other countries. I managed to find one result to 'claim', the Rotorua Half Ironman in December last year (though I'm not so sure I want to own up to it). I have registered and 'claimed' my race result and I'm already building up my friends list. Athlinks already has a lot of athletes registered (15,553 as of right now) and they ask for people to let them know about results they don't have listed. It could be a cool resource in the future, to hook up with other like minded Ironman racers around the world. On a side not it also allows the stalker in you to get busy, I managed to find results for a few people I know and I will let them know so they can claim their results. You can get as into the Athlinks community as you want too, they allow you to send messages, record training, make blog entries, post photos and videos and show of your gear if you want to plug your sponsors. Go check it out. Send a friends invite to James Duncan and I 'll add you to my list. See you in there.Athlinks

No comments: