Friday, May 4, 2007

The Ironman training god is trying to tell me something. I'm not listening

What a shocking last few days! Let’s just say someone out there didn’t want me to get in a good training week. I guess there are possible benefits in aiding my leg injury recovery (seeing the physio again today by the way, will give you an update after that), but his is getting ridiculous. I’ll give you the short version. Wednesday evening I had a solo swim session planned, I do this at the local pool, I forgot my togs and it’s a 45min round trip to go get them and I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, one session denied. Thursday morning I had a magtrainer session planned and I set my alarm the night before, some how I set it one hour late and ran out of time before work, two sessions denied. Then last night I had the group magtrainer session planned, but I had to work late so didn’t have time to make it to the group session, so I had to settle for a solo session at home, three sessions denied. Then this morning I had a cadence magtrainer session planed and during my warm-up the battery in my cycle computer died (which was made more annoying by the fact that the batteries in my dress watch, my sports watch and my heart rate monitor all died in the space of one week last week) so cadence had to be done by counting and my leg started playing up and the session had to be cut short, four sessions denied.
But, I will not be deterred; I will get on top of my training. If things aren’t going your way, it’s important not to let it get to you. A few missed sessions are not particularly important in the scheme of things and if life gets in the way of training at times that’s fine. Some times us ‘amateur athletes’ need to focus on other things. If I was a professional Ironman and my next pay cheque relied on my performance and it was close to the big race, then I would be worried. Ironman WA is eight months away and I had a bad/unlucky week, what can ya do?

No comments: