Monday, May 14, 2007

Magnesium Supplements for Ironman training

I seem to have recovered from the head-cold that has been hanging about for the last few days and I'm feeling good. The bit of me that isn't feeling good is the inside of both my quads just above my knees on both legs. Both legs were cramping during the run on Saturday Morning's Brick Session and I had the same problem on the run in the Rotorua Half Ironman in December last year. I think that it was largely due to lack of conditioning to the high intensity and high volume exercise. There is a lot of research and information that says that cramp is often a result of dehydration and deficiencies in certain nutrients. In my reading, top of the list of nutrients are salt and magnesium. Salt is a common additive in sports drinks such as Gatorade and Ironman competitors often supplement with salt tablets during events. I discussed this with my coach and a number of the guys also training for and/or racing Ironman, all of them said that they were supplementing daily with magnesium (among other things). They said that they found that magnesium decreased the frequency of cramping during exercise and recovery and it seems also helps them sleep, which is a big plus in my view. I had a bit of a scout round the Internet and found a couple of informative sights discussing nutrients and Ironman racing, that seem pretty credible. I have put links to at the bottom of this post. One of the guys I train with recommended a particular magnesium supplement called Ultra Muscleze, which sounds promising. I will endeavor to pick some up in the next week or so and will do my own little mini review of it for you.

Here are those sights:

-10 essential nutrients for endurance athletes

-Optimal performance for endurance athletes

3 comments:

Megan said...

Great report, thanks for the heads up on the supplements. I think I need to make over my supplement (AKA ONLY multi vitamin)consumption !!

Dainard said...

Hi all,

Magnesium is needed by our body to carry out normal body functions. It is the fourth most abundant element found in the bones, teeth and in the red blood cells of the body. You can take magnesium from food sources or in the form of magnesium supplements. Thanks a lot!

Magnesium Rich Foods

Trialist said...

Hi.

Bananas are a great source of magnesium and, in my opinion should be eaten by all athletes. hey, the pro tennis players love-em.

In terms of warding off illness, illness/immuno-suppression being a common symptom of overtraining, it may simply be a lack of sleep. You need to sleep more as an athlete (Athletes need more sleep). Sleep releases growth hormone which is vital for recovery, repair and immune function restoration. The more you put your body through the more you need. Hope this helps